As a childhood cancer survivor with over 15 years experience in the medical field, I have a priceless understanding of how our struggles impact our lives in every way imaginable.
– Shannon Nix, LCSW
When I was diagnosed with cancer, I remember trying to understand why these changes become too much for some. This disappointment hurt more than my disease itself. At the same time, I was surrounded by unbelievable strength and love from those were my Anchors. I had to fight for ways to confront my feelings of loss and choose to learn to find hope in unexpected ways. My Dad would always say “EGBOK- everything’s gonna be O.K.” This intention more days than most served as a remind to me that hope was always around; I just had to search for it with my Anchors and not face dark times alone. We have to choose what we want our life’s healing and story will be.
We cannot control the past. We can control and choose how to heal. We can choose not to be defined or controlled by the hardships we endure.
I understand what it feels like to battle circumstances beyond our control. I am here to say that You have the choice to change and discover better ways to improve your life- IF you want to. Life can only cripple your heart, and destroy your peace IF you allow it to. I understand how the importance of having support from both loved ones and professionals to help get you through the tough times.
Sometimes it is hard to believe that healing or resolution is possible. I’ve been there more times than I can count. I have found that hope is a little easier to feel when we have supportive people around us.
I have chosen to use my experiences as the survivor, family member, and professional to help others reach their best life possible through HEALthier ways of coping. I am invested in working with people who are ready to take the next step towards healthier and happier way of living. Together we will focus on what your goals are, cope with the difficult feelings , and work on ways to adapt to life’s challenges. Make today the day you choose to get excited about life!
“He who has health, Has hope,
And He who has Hope, Has everything.”
As Featured In…
- American Society of Consultant Pharmacists (2011 Conference), “Sexuality and Aging: A Challenge for the Pharmacist”
- National Council on Aging and The American Society on Aging (2009 Conference), “Sexual Behaviors and Attitudes in Aging America”
- Case Management Task Force of Los Angeles County ( 2008 Conference), “Connecting Domestic Violence Victims with Housing and Community Services”
- Conquer Childhood Cancer Act, Lobbyist
- Staples Community Star Award, Southern California, 1999
- Betty Crocker Baco-S America’s Top Volunteer
- Outstanding Youth of Orange County, National Society of Fund-Raising Executives National Philanthropy Day
“Hope always remains even in the darkest of rooms”
-13 year old Me, while battling cancer